Monday, August 16, 2010

LOVE

A great American marriage. Photo from trivia.se.

Allrightyyyyy, this is my last recycled blog from the cherubs contest, due to the fact that it coincides with my last day in Hawaii (insert hysterical sobbing here). This has been a splendid vacation, and I will carry with me always the super attractive souvenier of a large peeling sunburn (on the bright side, it gained me mucho popularity points with the reptilian population of this great island.) And now I must pack or face the wrath of my darling mother, but before I do I will leave you with this post. The theme was I believe in...

I believe in love.


I don’t always, though. Lately I’ve been losing faith a little bit… it seems like getting divorced is the hottest trend nowadays.

However, whenever I find myself in this dark, loveless funk, all I have to do is turn my attention to that holy instrument, the boob tube, and I see the light once more.

Television is completely saturated with love stories. Fox boasts TV’s ultimate power couple, one of the oldest and strongest testaments to the power of love: Marge and Homer. Think about it, people. They’ve been through it all together. Homer keeps on sustaining an almost inhuman level of obesity and Marge’s hair contains more scaffolding than the inside of a skyscraper, but they stay strong. They don’t even let the fact that their children have some strange disease that prevents them from aging get them down.

There’s Spongebob and Patrick, Tim Gunn and clothes, Kel and orange soda, Jim and Pam, Snooki and spray tans, Liz Lemmon and Astronaut Mike Dexter, Helga and Arnold, all strong relationships, all on television, all proof that love is something to be believed in.

And it doesn’t stop there. The love Jack Bauer shows for America is so intense I’m surprised the US government hasn’t filed a restraining order. Jack Bauer has watched his daughter get kidnapped 9 zillion times for his country, Jack Bauer has become a heroin addict for his country, Jack Bauer has BITTEN A MAN TO DEATH for his country. If that’s not love, then I don’t know what is.

I know it’s all scripted. I know that love is hard and rare and not all marriages work out. But I also know that it’s real, behind a screen or not. Believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment