Thursday, August 12, 2010

Allooooo blog world!!!!

Okay. Here goes.

My name is Erica Hendry and I am an unashamed consumer of that great modern household fixture: the boob tube. I have created this blog to share my thoughts and random musings about the unsung art form, television, and to prove to myself that there is a sliver of a possibility in this lovely universe that I might just have a future as a writer.

I was inspired to start posting by my incredible summer at Northwestern University's Cherubs program and the blog contest I competed in there (I got second place! How awesome! Although Ricky Bobby's father would not agree. After all, if you're not first, you're last.) Here is my first blog post from that contest. The theme was Chance.

Other high school students get stressed out about how much homework they have to do every night. I’m different. I get stressed out about how many TV shows I have backlogged on my Tivo.


Maybe that makes me unmotivated, maybe that makes me uninteresting, maybe that makes me a brain dead couch potato with a questionable work ethic and even more questionable taste levels. It depends on who you ask. But the one thing it does make me for sure is a girl who firmly believes that for all you “cultured” naysayers out there, TV deserves a CHANCE.

TV is educational. How else would we know about the mysterious tribe of orange people that populates the New Jersey coastline? And I think I’m not alone when I say that the main source of my current events is the Colbert Report.

TV is emotional. Whenever I feel sad, all I have to do is play the Youtube clip of Susan Boyle singing that song from Le Miz, and I can barely contain my tears of joy. And no one can say that when they saw Chuck lying there on the Prague pavement, engagement ring in hand, they didn’t feel a little lump in their throats.

I’ve always wanted to start a blog about television, and Cherubs is finally giving me the motivation to do so. Over the course of these coming weeks, I will treat you all (whether you like it or not) to a selection of my favorite shows, my least favorite shows, and to my unconditional and eternal love for that god among men, Jack Bauer.

It may not be the best blog, or the funniest blog, but it will be my blog. And I think I deserve a chance, don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment